Discovery a leaking roof in your home can be quite upsetting. Your roof in Volusia should be protecting the inside of your house and keeping it water-tight. It is one of the most important things on your exterior to protect you from rain, snow, sleet, and hail. Many people go into panic mode when they notice their roof leaking and damaging their interior.
Chances are when you find out your roof is leaking it is raining or there is snow on your roof. No one in their right mind is going to go up there then and try to do an emergency roof repair. It’s a dangerous place to be when wet. Slipping off the roof can happen too easily.
Before you call a roofing contractor to do repairs look carefully at where the leak is to determine what might be the cause. If your roof is sloped the source of the leak may be higher up than where the actual water is coming in. Try to determine where it might be coming from so you can accurately tell the contractor what type of roof repair you need.
Chimneys are a Common Source of Leaks
Chimneys are a frequent place for leaks. The metal flashing around the chimney may have become loose. Roof cement often separates from chimneys during extreme weather and temperature changes.
Leaking Roof Vents
Roof vents are another easy area for water to seep into your home. Your roof probably has several vents. You could have vents to let the hot air out of your attic. There are usually plumbing vents too from the bathroom. Sometimes there are dryer vents. All these vents are normally sealed with flashing and/or roof cement. Many emergency roof repairs are done around vents.
Anytime there is something coming out of your roof it is a prime candidate for a leak in your roof. Your roofing material may still be in good shape. It’s these openings in your roof that can cause problems. Having to reseal them is quite common.
Call a Professional Roofing Contractor
Trying to do an emergency roof repair yourself is not as easy as it may sound. If you think you can just go up there and slap some roof cement on – you’re wrong! Just like most things there is a right and wrong way to do it. Even the smallest gap left can let water in. If the cement is applied incorrectly it may cause water to form small pools of water that will enter your home.
Emergency roof repairs are better left to a professional. Besides the risk of falling off your roof it is not a job easily accomplished by an amateur. Don’t panic – but also don’t think a do-it-yourself job will do the trick.
Time to Call in the Roofing Experts in Volusia? – 10 Signs
A part of roof restoration or replacement is painting, which instantly adds value to your house and gives it character and appeal. It is important to keep the paint work on your roof up to date for number of reasons.
* A Roof that has a well maintained surface will be more resistant to breakages and chips.
* A good paint job will prevent too much water penetrating your tiles and causing too much moisture builds up in your roof.
* Foreign growth from leaf rot, mould or lichen will be prevented
* A Professional Paint Job adds value to your house, and gives it a greater appeal.
Common problems associated with tiled roofs are cracked and broken cement, or loose and broken tiles. This is likely to cause problems with wind and water damage, allowing the wind to loosen roof tiles and rain and water to seep in and through the gaps, which could cause thousands of dollars of water damage to your home, if not treated on time.
Professional Trades people as part of their Roof maintenance program will replace broken tiles and re-bed the entire cement ridge capping as part of the service to ensure the best possible result without providing a simple band-aid solution that will only need fixing again.
By having this done by our licensed professional tradesmen they will give you a quality and lasting result.
Often leaks are caused by build-up on your roof by foreign substance.
Moss and lichen detaches with heavy rain, rolling into your gutter. If your gutters are slightly blocked, the moss and lichen with accumulate and block the gutters, causing all sorts of problems. There can also be problems with the moss growing in between the water course channels of the roof tile and blocking the correct flow of water.
If in the market to sell your property do consider giving your house a new look with repair and new paint work. This not only lifts the images of the house but value as well. Colour combinations are so very important, so picking the right colours at the beginning of the job is very important, or else you don't get what you want. A mistake that might cost you. Keeping a house and maintaining it is a task and one needs to see as a property owner. Property owners spend money each year to keep their house in good looking condition.
Consider your options when thinking of doing some work at your property and always take professional advice.
"The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining."
These wise words were spoken by President John F. Kennedy during his 1962 State of the Union Address. He was referring to the financial prudence of government action in addressing problems before an emergency arises—and the problems become much more expensive.
The same can be said for homeowners.
Even though roofs are always there, it can be easy to take them for granted and overlook their maintenance needs. This can lead to incredibly costly repairs.
Yes, the time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining—and here's a look at 10 times you should call in the roofers.
Call for Roofing Services:
- When you see signs of water damage. If you see water-damage stains on the ceilings inside your home, it's time to call for roofing services. Those stains indicate that something on your roof has failed—the flashing, shingles, gutters, or downspouts—and needs to be fixed before it gets worse.
- When the shingles have seen better days. Cracked shingles are one of the most common causes of leaks. If you see a few cracked shingles, you should have them replaced. If your roof looks like a sun-drenched, dried out desert, it's time to call for roofing and shingle services.
- When you have ice dams. Ice dams occur in colder climates when heat from the attic melts snow on the roof, causing water to seep beneath the flashing and shingles. It's a common problem for homes with flatter roofs and be incredibly costly to fix if it's not addressed as soon as the ice dams appear.
- When your shingles start to curl. Shingles that are curling along the edges are your cue to call for roofing and shingle services. It means your shingles are old, possibly allowing water to seep in beneath them and likely ready to crack.
- When you see dark stains. Dark stains on your roof may or may not be a big dea—but you should call for professional services to find out what's causing them. If they are from algae or moss, the stains probably aren't going to affect the integrity of your roof. But if they are caused by aging or damage to the shingles, you're going to want to have it repaired.
- When your roof starts to sag. If you see that any part of your roof is starting to sag, you might be dealing with an emergency. A sagging roof is a sign that the structural integrity of your home might have been compromised by water damage, rotted wood, or something else.
- When you find a lot of shingle granules in your gutters. The gritty little granules on top of shingles play an incredibly important role in protecting your home from the sun's dangerous ultraviolet rays. And while it may be normal for a few to find their way into your gutters, it shouldn't look like a sandy beach up there. If you see a lot of shingle granules in your gutters, it could be a sign that your shingles are aging (quickly), so you'll probably want to have them replaced.
- When you see mold. You probably don't have to worry if you have algae or moss growing on your roof, but if you see mold, you might be dealing with a pretty serious problem. Most likely, mold means that your drainage system has been damaged or is not working properly. Ignoring mold could cause your roof to wear out sooner than it should.
- When all of your neighbors are getting new roofs. Most homes in neighborhoods are built at about the same time (at least within a few years of one another). So if you notice that many of your neighbors are getting new roofs, it's probably time to start making plans to do the same.
- When your roof is old. In general, the lifecycle of a roof is between 20 and 25 years. Some roofs will last longer, some won't make it to 25. That's why it's important to keep a close eye on your roof. Look for signs of wear, tear, and water damage. And if you bought your house 20 years ago and have never had the roof replaced, it's probably time to call for roofing services.
Don't Wait for a Rainy Day
Remember, the best time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining. If you own a home, don't wait for a rainy day emergency to call for roofing services. Connect a professional roofing company today to discuss your roofing needs.