Roofing Contractors - Understanding What a Roofing Contractor Does and Tips on Selecting One
Discovery a leaking roof in your home can be quite upsetting. Your roof should be protecting the inside of your house and keeping it water-tight. It is one of the most important things on your exterior to protect you from rain, snow, sleet, and hail. Many people go into panic mode when they notice their roof leaking and damaging their interior.
Chances are when you find out your roof is leaking it is raining or there is snow on your roof. No one in their right mind is going to go up there then and try to do an emergency roof repair. It’s a dangerous place to be when wet. Slipping off the roof can happen too easily.
Before you call a roofing contractor to do repairs look carefully at where the leak is to determine what might be the cause. If your roof is sloped the source of the leak may be higher up than where the actual water is coming in. Try to determine where it might be coming from so you can accurately tell the contractor what type of roof repair you need.
Chimneys are a Common Source of Leaks
Chimneys are a frequent place for leaks. The metal flashing around the chimney may have become loose. Roof cement often separates from chimneys during extreme weather and temperature changes.
Leaking Roof Vents
Roof vents are another easy area for water to seep into your home. Your roof probably has several vents. You could have vents to let the hot air out of your attic. There are usually plumbing vents too from the bathroom. Sometimes there are dryer vents. All these vents are normally sealed with flashing and/or roof cement. Many emergency roof repairs are done around vents.
Anytime there is something coming out of your roof it is a prime candidate for a leak in your roof. Your roofing material may still be in good shape. It’s these openings in your roof that can cause problems. Having to reseal them is quite common.
Call a Professional Roofing Contractor
Trying to do an emergency roof repair yourself is not as easy as it may sound. If you think you can just go up there and slap some roof cement on – you’re wrong! Just like most things there is a right and wrong way to do it. Even the smallest gap left can let water in. If the cement is applied incorrectly it may cause water to form small pools of water that will enter your home.
Emergency roof repairs are better left to a professional. Besides the risk of falling off your roof it is not a job easily accomplished by an amateur. Don’t panic – but also don’t think a do-it-yourself job will do the trick.
Commercial Roofing Maintenance: 5 Strategies to Get the Most Out of Your Roof
Roofing contractors often guard their much treasured secrets about roof repairs. I'm here to tell you, that there is an easy way, to gain a wealth of information and most experienced roofing contractors, don't want you to know about it.
It's called reading books about roof repairs. Where do you think that most roofing contractors get most of their information from? Do you think that everything they have ever learned, was on-the-job training? Just because these people don't look or dress like rocket scientist or businessmen, doesn't mean that they can't read.
I have been working in the construction business, for quite some time now and have read plenty of books on home repairs. I have read books on roofing, siding, carpentry, contractors, electrical systems, plumbing, remodeling, remodeling contractors, marketing, sales and any other book that I thought, could give me an advantage over another contractor.
If you're really interested in learning about different kinds of roof repairs, I recommend going down to your local library, to see if they have any books on home repairs or roof repairs that can help you fix your roof. If you don't have any money, it doesn't really matter at the library. All you need is a library card and you have access to quite a bit of information, instantly.
I can write as many words down as I want about roof repairs, but a picture is worth a thousand words. If you're interested in learning about roofing repairs, find a book that has plenty of pictures and step-by-step instructions. If your library doesn't have a good selection of home repair books, you can always bite the bullet, and go down to your local bookstore to check out their selection.
Roofing Repair Contractors - Top Roofing Repair Tips
Your roof may have survived the cold and hot summer, but rainy season is the time when it needs special protection. Roofing inspection before the rainy season is essential to increase the lifespan of your roof. It also helps to avoid additional damage to your home’s precious interior and property.
Roof inspection should be completed on a semi-annual basis. Most of the professional roofers recommend regular inspection before and after the rainy season. If there was a passing storm or lightening strike you must call a professional roofer.
Rainy Season Roof Maintenance Tips:
- Clean Gutters and Drains: Rainy season is the time when you you have extra careful what’s going down your drain to prevent any leaks or backup. Clogged gutter can put a strain on a roof. It can also act a breeding ground for mosquitoes and ugly roof gardens.
- Lightning Protection: Rain storms bring fierce lightning strikes along with them, make sure to review your building’s lightning protection system by hiring a reliable and experienced residential roofers.
- Mold Build-up: Heavy rain and strong humidity also create appropriate conditions for mold growth. These molds silently destroy your property and lead to structural damages.
- Pest Build-up: If your roof has small entry holes or cavaties in it, this provides a perfect home for Birds, stray cats, spiders, and raccoons. You must block these immediately to mitigate with the issue.
- Sun Damage: Rainy season is the time of rapid changes in hot and cold weather. Solar radiation can shorten the life of many roof systems. Scan your roof immediately after rainy days to ensure sealants are working fine. Their should also be no cracks in the roof membrane.
- Strong Wind: Driving wind and rain can loosen the roofing shingles and tiles. This is the primary reason of leaks and precipitation in the sides. Make sure to walk the roof after every storm to detect damage.
Hire a Roofing Professional
A qualified roofing expert understands your rainy season roofing maintenance requirements. By creating a customized roofing inspection program they will provide you with a detailed report outlining any issues. They will also provide you roofing inspection report which is valuable source of information for property valuation, budgeting, and other legal ramifications. Make sure to seek at least two bids for repair work.
When to contact roofing experts:
Contact professional roofing company in any of the following problems:
- Damaged or curling shingles are the first signs of wear and tear. It's easy and inexpensive to replace one or two shingles. You can either do it yourself or hire a professional residential roofer.
- Check rust buildup in case of metal. You can use a wire brush to dirt them off, else apply a good quality primer or paint as a long term solution.
- It is also essential to examine the roof flashing. Solid flashing system installed protects you from thundering. Only an experienced residential roofer can check and install your flushing system appropriately.
- It is also important to examine any cracked mortar or caulking around joints and chimneys. Maintain and repair caulks promptly, it may be deteriorating.
Rainy season is the time when special attention is required to protect your roof. Mostly, people are unaware about key roofing construction elements which lead to further property damage. Therefore, the roof must be ensured and installed correctly without any gaps.
Also, choose the right quality roofing material, weather resistant materials would be the best choice. There is a wide range of roofing materials available from clay, metal, to bitumen. Choose as per your building requirements. It is also necessary to adjust the roofing material with the intensity of the rainfall in your residential area. You will also find wind and crack resistant materials, ask your roofer to suggest you the right material.
Hire a roofing contractor with experience in your particular building type. For further assurance also ask to see references of their former clients and works.